Friday, January 4, 2008

The REAL Flava Favorite Songs of 2 double-0 7

(Can you imagine James Bond wearing Flava Flav's clock? Hmm...)


Well, here goes my official list of favorite songs of...

2007-even-even-even-!!!


Boy is it hard to compile this kind of list! I thought I'd just do a top ten (many of you are mumbling "I wish he WOULD'VE") but there were just so many great songs this year I couldn't stop. That's why I made the random categories earlier. There are so many other great songs I would list, but I had to end it somewhere, so I figure 30 is well rounded. For starters, here is 30-11 of my favorite songs of the year.


This list is compiled from songs on albums released in 2007. The numbers almost don't matter until the upper end, its simply 30 songs I absolutely could not get enough of. Like I said, there are more...but 30 is enough. Here' goes...




30.) Mama, Won't You Keep Those Castles In The Air & Burning? - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!


You either love this voice or hate it. Smart lyrics, subtle instrumentation and swirling vocal arrangements. You don't really appreciate them at first, but listen closely. Its genius. Yeah!


29.) Between You And Me - Hilary Duff


"Oh no you DIT'N say Hilary Duff?!?" Yes I did. This song sounds WAY too much like Sonic the Hedgehog to be ignored by me. EXTREMELY catchy and brilliant pop. She should quit acting, cuz she sucks at that, but as of this year she does make decent tunes.


28.) Faust Arp - Radiohead


Short, sweet, and beautiful string arrangements by Johnny Greenwood. So beautiful infact, I almost forget Thom Yorke is singing. Cass hates Radiohead, but I caught her liking this one. "I like the strings" she said. So do I. So is your face.


27.) Keep The Car Running - Arcade Fire


HUGE song. Pump your fist and get outta town, baby, cuz Armageddon never sounded so exciting. On a mandolin no less. Did I say this song was huge yet?


26.) Comfy In Nautica - Panda Bear


This stray drummer from Animal Collective sings "Try to remember always/just to have a good time" while Lion King-ish chants and claps keep the rythm goin without any instruments. Good, no? I think Mufasa would appreciate. Its them chants that got me.


25.) Intervention - Arcade Fire


Another epic. This song has a huge church organ in it! And it fits the song's powerful theme of religious hypocrisy and a war torn world perfectly. This band has strong views, and agree or not, the power is fully felt in these songs.


24.) Those Thieving Birds (Part 1)/Strange Behaviour/Those Thieving Birds (part 2) - Silverchair


This song could almost fit 3 seperate spots on this list. Its as big as its name. A fully orchestrated (courtesy of Van Dyke Parks) rock opera the likes of which Cass and I have jammed out to many a drive. Daniel's voice is money in the bank on this one.


23.) Dreamworld - Rilo Kiley


The name of the song best describes the song itself. Guitarist and former Boy Meets World star Blake Sennet takes the vocals over on this one, while The Wizard's Jenny Lewis settles for backup, and it makes for one heckuva child-star-tag team.



22.) The Pieces Don't Fit Anymore - James Morisson


This guy is WHITE. Go listen to him sing and you'll see why that is an interesting fact. One of the most soulful voices around this year, and this song brings the tears when he croons, "Well its time to surrender/its been too long pretending/its no use in trying/when the pieces don't fit anymore." : (


21.) Reckoner - Radiohead


Thom falsetto's his way through this song, with some of the best harmonies and most beautifully sad strings the band has every put together. At about the 2:30 mark Thom sings "Because we seperate like ripples on a blank shore," with nothing but winding strings and an army of harmonizers. Genius, I Reckon.


20.) Reflections of a Sound - Silverchair


All of the sudden the Chair boys bust this Beatles jam out of nowhere. Pop brilliance is what it is. The melody is familiar yet unpredictable. Daniel's lyrics are nonsensical beauty as always. My brother found that an echo is defined as a "reflection of a sound."

Well, anyways...that's up to 20. Think I'll at least post this for now. Stay tuned for the conclusion! Lemme know yer opinions...or don't...I'll just leave opinions for myself.







MAMA, WON'T YOU KEEP THOSE CASTLES IN THE AIR AND BURNING?


PIECES DON'T FIT ANYMORE


REFLECTIONS OF A SOUND



BETWEEN YOU AND ME

1 comment:

matt lohrke said...

where's the rest of the list? :)